Skip to main content

A Second Chance

The book of Philemon was actually the book that started "The Biblical Nerd". It was after hearing one a Bishop T.D. Jakes sermon a few years ago, that sent me on my "Quest for Biblical Knowledge". It's also one of the shortest books in the bible in fact, with just one chapter and 25 verses. (shorter than this post). Written by the Apostle Paul, this short but powerful letter of love and forgiveness, was sent to Philemon in regards to one of his slaves, Onesimus. This happens to be one of my favorite stories in the bible and one I read and think about often. That being said, let's get into it shall we? I'll start off with a little background of the characters, then bring it all together. Mind clear? Body relaxed? Good. Here we go!!:

Philemon
  • Leader of the Church of Colossae
  • church met at his house
  • royalty; owned slaves; Onesimus
  • follower of Christ; converted by Paul
Onesimus
  • slave of Philemon
  • ran away after committing a crime against Philemon
  • runs into Paul while in Rome; saved through Paul's ministry
Paul
  • writer of Philemon
  • led both Philemon and Onesimus to Christ
  • writes letter to Philemon in regards to Onesimus going back
Float with me on this.

During his imprisonment while in Rome, Paul writes a letter to Philemon, a slave owner. Now before you start casting stones at him, you have to understand that, this is a completely different time period. The slaves then were not treated like the slaves of the United States. It just meant that Philemon was wealthy enough to have slaves to work for him. They were treated as employees, not animals. I mean, the man was using his house as the church, so you know he was living pretty comfortable. Continuing on, the letter was in regards to Onesimus, a runaway slave. Apparently, he ran away because he took something from Philemon, however, the bible never makes it clear as to what, but whatever it was, it was bad enough that he felt the need he had to get out of Dodge. It was in his running away from Philemon however, that led him to Paul.

Paul starts the letter off complimenting Philemon, praising him for the works that he has been doing, and he felt joy and comfort because the hearts of the people had been refreshed through him ( v. 7 ). Then, the very next verse, Paul tells him that even though he is bold enough in Christ, to command him to do what was required, he was coming to him out of love ( v. 8 ). Paul had gotten old, he was done arguing. But he writes this letter to Philemon to appeal to Onesimus, who he has now taken as his son in Christ, so that he could return back to Philemon. Again, these were different times. Due to Roman law, because Onesimus was a runaway, he was still owned by, and had to settle any debt he had with Philemon. Being a runaway alone was punishable by death. They would've killed him if had just went back. But it was in his running away from Philemon, that he ran into Paul. It's my guess that Paul and Onesimus were imprisoned together; forming a father and son relationship. In verse 11, he tells him that "Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful to you AND to me." He had become so useful to Paul in fact, that he wanted to keep him for himself! He even says that he felt as if he were sending him his very heart. That's how much love he had for Onesimus. 

In verse 15, he goes on to explain that maybe the reason Onesimus departed, was so that he could return back to Philemon to have forever-but not as a slave - more than that. As a brother. For if he has become so useful that I started to keep him here with me, imagine how much more useful he would be to you, both in the physical AND in Christ. Paul then tells Philemon if he was really a follower of Christ, then he would accept Onesimus back, as he would himself. He goes on to say that whatever wrong Onesimus committed or if he owed him anything, to just put it on his account, and that he would repay him when he got out. However, he wasn't going to mention how much Philemon already owed him. ( v. 19 ). It was Paul who brought Philemon to Christ. Philemon, like Onesimus, was also a "son" of Paul. That's why Paul was asking him to accept him back as his brother and not his slave. And the only thing he wanted in return, was for Philemon to "refresh his heart in Christ" v. 20 ), by accepting Onesimus. Looking a little deeper, I found that Onesimus later on pastors a church. 

Moral of the story?

Sometimes, it's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know!

I think this story is so powerful and effective for me, because I can relate so well to it. Just because you know a lot, doesn't me you need to do a lot. I think we lean and depend on ourselves so much, that we forget we aren't in this thing alone. I started to think of how much knowledge I've acquired over the years from all of my experiences, then began to question why I haven't gotten any further in life. But life is a process and it happens in stages. And eventually, all of those failed processes will start to make sense; you learn from your mistakes. You get past the PAST and use the knowledge gained to head off into the future. Only this time, you can't do it like you did the first time. If that were the case, all of the heartache and tiresome victories would be in vain. No. This time around, it'll be different. So what the first business failed? What did you learn from it? You didn't finish the degree the first time around, but did you even know WHAT type of degree you really wanted? Took a little time to figure it out now you have a better grip on things. Now, you can go back and finish what you started, only this time, it'll be so much useful for you!

Ironically enough, the name Onesimus means "to be useful". Crazy right?

Be useful folks.

-theComfyMisfit




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Happening To Our Black Men?

For the past few days, single mothers has been a topic that i’ve been hearing a lot about. It sparked my interest when I saw a tweet about it. The tweet was about a predominantly black youth department where 80% of the kids didn’t have a father present. It went on to ask “Why men traditionally gotta be awful?”, in which I replied, “If God hadn’t put Joseph into place, Mary would have been a single mother”. After doing a brief search of single black mothers, I found that over 72% of black children are born to single mothers. Immediately after reading that, my mind went back to the Amerikkka's Attack on the Black Community  post; Jesus more specifically. Remember how I explained how I thought the devil is operating in the United States Government?? Well… Float with me on this. We aren’t told much about Joseph in the scriptures, but we know that he was worthy enough to be handpicked to father the Son of God. It’s also interesting to note that he wasn’t mentioned until the tim

God Sent Me an Uber

After being completely and utterly disappointed and frustrated with my current life situation, i decided something had to change. Knowing that I have ran my life into a deep hole of a mess and that I could and SHOULD be doing much better, that’s what I wanted. I wanted to be happy; something I’ve never been before. So I made the call. I got God on the line and told him everything. How forgotten and abandoned I felt, as if he were picking on me. All of my failures, disappointments, the blown / mismanaged opportunities. I opened up and got everything off my chest. The ups, the downs, the would’ve-should’ve-could’ves’....Everything. After going on my little rant and after a brief moment of silence, mixed with some chuckling, I was told that I was being sent a car; an Uber. “Just get in the car and I’ll tell you how to fix it.”  Now once again, i felt like me and my issues were just another crumb on a table full of loaves that was just going to get passed over and wiped away. But bein

BLACK

“Black” I took a look in their little “Black Book” and what did I see? That we’re just a bunch of “Black Sheep” in the dictionary “Black balled” into believing that evil is dark, Mis-educating our children, leaving mental “Black Marks” On this “Black Friday” I really must say, This book should be on the “Black Market”….revised, Today! To “Blacken” a people with such negative words, Is mental “Blackballing”, but i don’t mind a “Blackbird” Look in the “Black Book” at how they describe their race Anything “Blackened” is attributed to your “Black Face” Educationally “Blackmailed”, dispensing “Black Bile” , Hearing bad “Black” words so long, some accept it in style Caucasian descriptions, giving us a “Black Eye” , And they say a “Black Panther” is a militant guy “Black Art” is witchcraft, “Black Leg” a disease , A “Black Fellow” is an Aborigine….overseas Do you live in the “Black Belt”? deep down in the southeast? Or have you seen “Black Disease”? I