Skip to main content

Why Is No One Talking About Post Incarceration Syndrome?

The other night I was out on the balcony, getting some fresh air and just, thinking. I’ve recently started to get into researching the school-to-prison pipeline, when I came across this article online about Post Incarceration Syndrome (PICS). Quick breakdown, (to avoid going too far into detail), PICS is a mixed mental disorder with four clusters of symptoms:


  • Institutionalized / Antisocial Personality Traits
  • Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Social-Security Deprivation Syndrome
  • Reactive Substance Use Disorder


Again, not going into specific detail about any of those, but you should definitely check out the article when you get a chance. After reading over it, I started to think about myself and my jail experiences. I had never really thought about it until now, but to me it explained a lot. See, before I started on my little “outlaw” run, I wasn’t the way I am now. Meaning I wasn’t a homebody. Before I was out every weekend or chance I could get to go out. Didn’t matter where I was going, just as long as I wasn’t going to be sitting at home. Loved partying so much that I eventually became a promoter- had some pretty nice events too! However, now? Lol. I prefer the peace and quietness of being on the couch all day, or the company of a few close friends. Have a few brews with the fellas and kick back and shoot the breeze all night. It takes an entire army to get me out of the house now lol. But that made me start to think how my “Now” actions, were very similar to jail life.


Float with me on this….


While incarcerated, you’re stripped from all of your privacy. You can’t even use the bathroom without someone being able to see or hear you do you personal business. You shower in the public, with only a shower curtain separating you from splashing water on the same table that you eat on. There is no light switch because the guards control the lights. No solid doors to stop the sound from the youngins having a studio session with a live band or the older cats running a sports talk show at 3 am. You eat when food is brought to you, (breakfast is at 4am in Roxboro), sleep when you can, wish you could go outside and think about how much you’ve messed up and just ready to get out. Having always being watched, either by a camera, the CO or another inmate, you find yourself always on the lookout. Just because you know where you are, you have to stay on your toes. There is no relaxing in jail, and over a period of time, that really starts to mentally wear you down.


After having your privacy taken away for so long, that when you finally get out and get it back, you become somewhat overprotective of it. Erecting mental and emotional walls to stop anyone or anything from compromising it again. You now avoid crowds of people simply because of how the prison environment has trained you to believe that you must always watch your back. So used to being alone that any other form of human contact seems abnormal. Being locked away from the rest of the world, you start to learn how to really enjoy your own company-But that’s not always a good thing. It’s actually a pretty scary thought isn’t it? What’s even scarier is that no one is talking about it!


As a black male who battles with depression, and who has also seen how the jail industry operates, I’m guilty of it myself. I don’t talk about it; don’t mention it. Never wanted to get help with it. However, given the increasing number of inmates and prisons being built. How big of an epidemic mental health has become, wouldn’t now be the perfect time to bring it up? Wouldn’t now be the perfect time to talk about how inmates are being trained for public isolation? These jails, prisons and detention centers are being used as mental disorder breeding camps. The battle isn’t just stopping them from getting there, it’s making sure they get back to who they REALLY were when they get out.


-theComfyMisfit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Happening To Our Black Men?

For the past few days, single mothers has been a topic that i’ve been hearing a lot about. It sparked my interest when I saw a tweet about it. The tweet was about a predominantly black youth department where 80% of the kids didn’t have a father present. It went on to ask “Why men traditionally gotta be awful?”, in which I replied, “If God hadn’t put Joseph into place, Mary would have been a single mother”. After doing a brief search of single black mothers, I found that over 72% of black children are born to single mothers. Immediately after reading that, my mind went back to the Amerikkka's Attack on the Black Community  post; Jesus more specifically. Remember how I explained how I thought the devil is operating in the United States Government?? Well… Float with me on this. We aren’t told much about Joseph in the scriptures, but we know that he was worthy enough to be handpicked to father the Son of God. It’s also interesting to note that he wasn’t mentioned until the tim

The Roaring 20s - Trump's Chicago

...in the wake of what's happening in #chicago ...ima drop this today There was an article published by The Courier-Times newspaper back in May that caught my attention. It was on the front page of the “Living in Person” section, with the headline: “Students Experience Roaring 20s”. Local homeschoolers had put on show bringing the 1920s “back to life”. Also on the front page, was a picture of a group of kids; all “dressed to the nines as flappers and mobsters.” Machine Gun Kelly, Al Capone, Eliot Ness and Coco Chanel, just to name a few. The article begins by stating that: “It was the era of gangsters, Prohibition, and all that glitters.” It then goes on to tell us about the invention of the juicer. Which they even demonstrated by making lemonade. The students were taught about the art deco style, choosing a “celebrity” of the era and creating their own art pieces. The program ended with a feast from a variety of foods popular in that decade...peanut butter cups, chow mein, C